The Crédal is a Belgian cooperative created in 1984 and active in the field of solidarity finance in Wallonia and Brussels .
The origins of the Crédal go back to the beginning of the 1980s , in the fight against apartheid 1 .
The Crédal was first developed around the financing of social economy projects . He then embarked on counseling and coaching. It has also applied the principles of microfinancein French – speaking Belgium to counter the banking exclusion of micro – entrepreneurs 2 .
In 2003, the cooperative counts 700 cooperators, which total close to 7 million euros of investment 1 .
At the beginning of 2006, the Crédal has 891 co-operators and around twenty employees 2 . The same year, after having collaborated with Fortis through the “Cigale savings”, and with the cooperative bank BACOB , the Crédal began a collaboration with the foundation Dexia 3 .
At the end of 2014 , Crédal funds reached more than 27 million euros 4 . In 2013, the company granted around a thousand credits. These funds have enabled 173 social organizations to develop various projects, 136 micro-entrepreneurs have created their own jobs and 645 people were able to use a personal credit 5 .
Sectors of activity
- Ethical investment: the Crédal lists about 2,500 investors / cooperators at the end of 2014 4 .
- Alternative credit: financing associations and companies with social, societal or environmental added value, (future) excluded entrepreneurs and low-income individuals.
- Accompaniment: advice on social economy and support for entrepreneurs who want to create their activity.
Notes and references
- ↑ a and b The Crédal, pioneer of social finance [ archive ] , lalibre.be, December 12, 2003
- ↑ a and b The Crédal combines ethical credit and microfinance [ archive ] , lalibre.be, January 11, 2006
- ↑ Crédal is assisted by the “Dexia Foundation” [ archive ] , Patrick Van Campenhout lalibre.be, April 11, 2006
- ↑ a and b Crédal: a cooperative of solidarity finance [ archive ] , Bruno Malter, lavenir.net, November 10, 2014
- ↑ Site of the cooperative [ archive ]