FIDES Bank Namibia is a commercial bank of Namibia .
FIDES Bank Namibia received its provisional license on 2 , 3 and his permanent license on4 , 5 . The head office of the institution is located inOngwediva in the Oshana region (North Namibia ). It is one of five commercial banks 6 who received a banking license to operate in the country by the national regulator, the central bank Bank of Namibia 7 , 8 and the first bank microfinance created in the country since its independence 9 .
The bank was founded on the basis of a pilot project called Koshi Yomuti ELO 10 , 11 . This project developed activities microfinance from 2002 to 2010 12 , 13 , 14 , specifically targeting populations rural seeking to develop income-generating activities. This project initially started in the Ohangwena region and then progressively expanded to Ondangwa in 2005 , Oshakati in 2006 and Outapi in 2007.. During the creation of the bank , the portfolio of credit has been transferred to the new institution, which then also developed a portfolio of credit used to finance SMEs 15 .
FIDES Bank Namibia is present in two banking segments 5 :
- Financing income generating activities ( microfinance ): this activity aims at offering savings and credit services to a clientele mainly located in rural areas of the country 16 . The development of this activity is based on a group methodology 17 involving almost totally excluded populations of traditional Namibian banking system 18 .
- Financing SMEs : this target activity of enterprises semi-formal and formal, not generally little or approached by the banks traditional 18 .
At the end of 2011 , FIDES Bank Namibia had around 11,000 clients and just over 650 microfinance groups 19 , 1 , who borrow an average of 216 euro 1 .
Geographical presence and branch network
The capital of FIDES Bank Namibia is held in 2012 by five shareholders :
- Swiss Microfinance Holding (30.05%) 19 ;
- The bank development German KfW (24.90%) 23 ;
- The French investment fund Investisseurs et Partenaires pour le développement (22.45%);
- The Flemish fund Volksvermogen NV (12.60%) 24 , 19 ; and
- The Credit Cooperative (since the end of 2011 to 10.00%).
Notes and references
- ↑ a , b and c ( in ) ” FIDES Bank Namibia ” [ archive ] , on www.incofin.com , Incofin, (accessed September 21, 2012 )
- ↑ ( af ) Niël Terblanché , ” GOOD staan aan banklisensie mikrolener toe ” , Die Republikein,
- ↑ ( in ) ” First micro finance bank gets license ” , Namibia Economist ,
- ↑ ( in ) Desie Heita , ” Bank for poor opens its doors ” , New Era ,
- ↑ a and b ( in ) Roman Pletter and Kristina Maroldt , ” Business on Credit ” , Enorm,
- ↑ ( in ) Desie Heita , ” Big Four Banks Not Scared of Competition ” , New Era,
- ↑ ( in ) Desie Heita , ” Micro Finance Banking Sparks Need for Regulation ” , New Era,
- ↑ ( in ) Sukaynah Alkatib , ” Lifeline for the ” , Insight Namibia ,
- ↑ ( of ) Marco Mach , ” Mikrofinanzbank erhält Lizenz ” , Allgemeine Zeitung,
- ↑ ( in ) Tonderai Katswara , ” Microfinance Improves lives of rural people ” , The Namibian,
- ↑ ( af ) Fred Goeieman , ” Vrede vestig die grundlag vir groei, sê kenner ” , Die Republikein,
- ↑ ( in ) Da’oud Vries , ” Germany Gives seed capital for Namibia’s first microfinance banking institution ” , The Namibian ,
- ↑ ( af ) Ruhan Bothma , ” Miljoene dollar hulp vir entrepreneurs ” , Die Republikein,
- ↑ ( in ) ” Koshi Yomuti Profile MIX-Market ” [ archive ] , at www.mixmarket.org , Microfinance Information Exchange (accessed November 25, 2011 )
- ↑ ( in ) Thorsten Geutling , ” Germany Bankrolls Micro Finance Bank for the North ” , Informant ,
- ↑ ( in ) Daniela Meyer , ” Victorias Bankgeheimnis ” , € uro ,
- ↑ ( in ) ‘ Grameen Model Launched in Namibia ” , Business Post ,
- ↑ a and b ( en ) ” FIDES Bank Namibia ” , Financial Services Namibia 2011-2012 , June 2011-June 2012
- ↑ a , b and c ( in ) ” MIX-Market Profile of FIDES Bank Namibia ” [ archive ] , on www.mixmarket.org , Microfinance Information Exchange (accessed September 30, 2012 )
- ↑ ( in ) Willian J. Mbangula , ” Fides Bank to open Katutura branch ” , Informant,
- ↑ ( af ) Oshakati-kantoor , ” FIDES bank op open op op Oshakati ” , Die Republikein,
- ↑ ( in ) ” FIDES Bank Namibia Limited ouvert icts doors to the public ” [ archive ] , on www.nbc.com.na , NBC News , (accessed November 25, 2011 )
- ↑ ( in ) Ndapwa Alweendo , ” German investor in micro-finance bank has no plans to stick around long ” , The Namibian ,
- ↑ ( in ) ” Volksvermogen Contributes to a Capital increase in FIDES Bank Namibia to supporting further Top ict growth ” [ archive ] , on www.incofin.com , Incofin (accessed September 21, 2012 )